The Names of God

By Diane Russell
“For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities his eternal power and divine nature have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse” (Romans 1:20, NIV).

“And God said to Moses, I AM WHO I AM and WHAT I AM, and I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE; and He said, You shall say this to the Israelites: I AM has sent me to you!” (Exodus 3:14, AMP).

So what did that mean back then and what does that mean for you and me today?

As a young man, Moses knew about God and His power; however, his zeal set him on a misguided mission to bring God’s people out of slavery. He failed miserably and ended up on the backside of the desert for 40 years.

After an encounter with God that brought him into a relationship like no other he had ever experienced, he became a vessel of leadership that God could use to lead an entire nation out of bondage to a land that flowed with milk and honey.

When God told Moses “I AM THAT I AM,” Moses began to understand that the “I AM” is more than enough! This explains God’s name
Jehovah and signifies that HE IS...
  1. Self-existent: He has His being of Himself.
  2. Eternal and unchangeable; always the same, yesterday, today, and forever.
  3. Incomprehensible; we cannot, by searching, figure Him out: this name prevents all bold and curious inquiries concerning God.
  4. Faithful and true to all His promises, unchangeable in His Word as well as in His nature;... . “I am, and there is none else besides Me.”
“El Shaddai, Elohim, Adonai... through His names, God reveals His character and His love. He is the Creator and the Everlasting God, the God Who Sees Me, the Lord Who Heals, The Lord My Rock, The Lord My Shepherd, and the Father who is calling us into [a] deeper, more satisfying relationship.”
(From Ann Spangler’s book, Praying the Names of God.)

To know Him is to love Him. To have that deep and intimate personal relationship with the Lord is to draw into a depth, a secret place that is set apart for you and God alone.

There is no reason nor excuse NOT TO know God and have that close personal relationship with Him. When the veil in the Temple was rent at the time Jesus was on Calvary, full access was granted into the very presence of God. He has given the invitation to you and me and it is our choice to draw close, to get to know Him, to accept His invitation. When you truly know Him, like Moses, you will become that vessel He can flow through to draw others to Himself also.

“For I am persuaded beyond doubt (am sure) that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities, nor things impending and threatening nor things to come, nor powers, Nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord,” (Romans 8:38-39, AMP).

No comments:

Post a Comment