Be Steadfast in Faith

By Karren Farley
“Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world” (I Peter 5.9, NKJV).

I discussed resisting Satan in the last devotion. Now I want to talk about being steadfast in the faith. Steadfast means “to be firm and unwavering in purpose, loyalty or resolve.” Wow, if we were all steadfast in our faith what a difference we would make in our families, in our local churches, in the workplace and in the world!

Peter was concerned about Christians’ faith.

Matthew Henry’s Commentary says;
It was the faith of these people that Satan aimed at; if he could overturn their faith, and draw them into apostasy, then he knew he should gain his point, and ruin their souls; therefore, to destroy their faith, he raises bitter persecutions, and sets the grand potentates of the world against them. This strong trial and temptation they must resist, by being well-grounded, resolute, and steadfast in the faith: to encourage them to this.
Times have not changed; it is the same today. We have a real enemy who is out to destroy us. I was talking with someone this week that is always angry with God. He is having trouble trusting in Him and I‘m sure it goes back to something that happened in his past. He blames God for everything, looks at circumstances and then curses God. It is easy to slide into this negative cycle once we let the guard down in our hearts and minds. We cannot hold on to bitterness, nor resentment. If we are unforgiving of the offences committed against us, we open the door for demonic thoughts to control us. We must be steadfast in our faith!

We need strong, steadfast women of God in our society. I don’t mean loudmouthed, strong-willed, domineering women. I mean that we need to become women who are strong in faith. We must have strong prayer lives and consistent relationships with God even in the rough times. I’ve been told many times that people have been encouraged by the example I have set with all the “ups and downs” I’ve had in my life.

People are watching us! Yes, they are watching you. Are they seeing someone who is steadfast? Let’s work on it this week.

Prayer:
God, I ask that you help me to become
a consistent, steadfast woman of God.
Forgive me where I have failed.
In Jesus Christ’s Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment