God's Messenger Boy

By Victoria Smith
“We are assured and know that [God being a partner in their labor] all things work together and are [fitting into a plan] for good to and for those who love God and are called according to [His] design and purpose” (Romans 8:28, The Amplified Bible.

My mom and dad separated before I was born. According to my mom, my dad was not interested in being a part of my life. I had very few memories of seeing him. When I was 16, I sought out my father. The encounter was awkward and difficult for both of us. The time together did not fill the void of my father’s love in my heart.

The attempted relationship went nowhere. Then a few years later, at the birth of my first child, I called to tell him he was a grandfather, but he did not call nor visit. I was crushed emotionally, and I decided I did not need to open that wound any more. I did not know the Lord at that time in my life. A few years passed and I came to know the Lord as Savior and decided to try once again to have a relationship with my dad. I went to his auto glass shop and walked in the office; he leaned out the window and said, “May I help you?” Here was my father and he did not even recognize me and my young daughter who was coming to meet her grandpa. I was crushed again with the pain of feeling unknown, unwanted, and unloved. After this meeting, I decided I had done my part to bring about healing and to build a relationship and therefore, I did not need to be hurt again. I decided I needed to guard my heart to keep from feeling such intense pain and rejection.

Years later, I had relocated to another area of the country and my second daughter was born. My husband urged me repeatedly to contact my dad as he had a right to know he had another granddaughter. It was my impression that I did nothing but complicate my father’s life and felt it was best to continue to guard my heart. Time went on and we moved back to the area in which he had previously lived. Out of curiosity, I drove by his last business address and it was no longer there. I also looked in the phone book to see if he was listed in the area. There was no listing. So I had done my part again and he was not there. Deep down inside I was concerned as to where he was and what was going on.

One cold winter night, just two days after Christmas, my husband called to say he was stranded because “Ol’ George,” his truck, had broken down. He asked me to come help him. When I got there, we could not get the vehicle started, so we went to a nearby auto parts store to buy a tow chain. We hooked the cars up and my husband gave me some tips on how to get the truck moved to a location where we could leave it overnight. We managed to get just a block away and mysteriously the tow chain came loose and shattered the back window of our only working vehicle. It was below zero, freezing rain was falling and we had very little money since Christmas had just been a few days before.

Here comes the part where the devil was God’s messenger boy! What the devil meant for bad, God planned to use for my good. I did not get that message at that point. All I could think was, “What are we going to do now?” We left “Ol’ George,” taped up the back window of my car and drove home feeling very defeated.

When we arrived home, I mentioned to my husband that my dad used to own an auto glass shop to which he replied, “This is probably not the best time to contact him.” I told my husband that I had tried to find my dad months before and was not able to do so, but I just wondered if he still was doing that type of business. I called several auto glass dealers and asked them “Who owns the shop?” Each caller replied with an unknown name. One thing that was determined was the back window that was broken was extremely expensive, due to the high tech electronics embedded in it and some suppliers did not have one in stock. It was a Thursday evening, and if I was going to get it replaced, I needed to make an appointment for the next day. I closed the phone book and said a prayer. “Lord, we don’t have the money, this is the only working vehicle we have and I need to know what to do. If this incident is to bring my father and I together, then it is in Your hands.” I was prompted to open the phone book one more time, close my eyes, point to an ad and call the store to which I had pointed. I called and asked, “Who’s the owner of the shop?” and the person on the other end of the line stated my father’s name and asked if she could help me. At that point, I nearly fell out of my chair. I asked if he was available, and she said no, that he had gone home early that day. The young woman insisted on helping me, and I began to tell her of our broken window and that I was his daughter and was wondering if he could help. I was told that my dad had been trying to find me for the past couple of years and the glass could be replaced the next day for a fraction of the cost of other suppliers.

I went to the shop the next morning. I entered and asked for my dad, and was told he did not come in that day, but they were going to get my car fixed up. I thought to myself, “Here it goes again, the pain I remembered from before.” I was then introduced to my step mom and step sister and was told my dad was very ill and had stayed home. When I went to pick up the car, I was told there was no charge and was invited to come to their home in a few days for dinner. I accepted.

When my family and I arrived, the house was decorated with many Christmas decorations, and as I entered the living room I saw a beautifully decorated tree. Under the tree were many presents. We exchanged hugs and caught up on the past few years. After a little while, we were all handed presents under the tree to open. Here I was, 40 years old, and these were the only presents I ever recalled receiving from my father. The moment was more special than words can express.

I learned that Dad had Hepatitis C and was in need of a liver transplant. The doctors had given him about ten years to live without a transplant. We spent time together throughout the next couple of months. In fact, he came to our Easter drama presentation at church, in which I was one of the actresses. I felt like a little girl when her daddy comes to her first dance recital. I later learned that my dad had not been to church for many years and had bought a special suit just for that day.

About a month later, Dad got sick and went to the hospital. I spent as much time with him as I could. I was asked while at the hospital if I would consider donating a portion of my liver to be transplanted into his body. This could potentially give him new life and hope. I would only be a candidate for this procedure if I was a match; however, I was also told that the risk could be death for me. I began to understand how Christ felt when he made the decision to give his life for people that may not have loved him in the way He wanted them to love Him.

After a couple of days, the doctor said Dad was improving and that he would likely go home the next day. I left that evening and went home to update my husband. My husband said, “I’m going to the hospital to see your dad.” He left and I went to bed.

The next morning, my husband told me that the Lord had impressed him to go visit with my dad and talk to him about the Lord. During my husband’s visit that night, he was able to confirm Dad’s salvation, which was the purpose of his visit. Then I received a call. “Your dad is in a coma and they have moved him to Intensive Care.” I went to the hospital to see Dad right away. Just a few days later, he died.

Finally, I had developed a relationship with my dad and he was gone within five months. What I then realized is that I was his last “unfinished business.” When our paths crossed, the Lord was able to take 40 years of pain and sorrow and exchange it for love, joy and forgiveness. Yes, forgiveness! Guarding my heart was a form of unforgiveness. I did not realize it until I got alone with the Lord. When my unforgiving attitude was dealt with, then God could mend all the pain and sorrow.

Do you have unfinished business that the Lord is longing to finish? Will you surrender to His will today?

No comments:

Post a Comment