Turtles

By Kandace Rather
I just have to ask... have you ever wanted to be a turtle? I know that's a crazy question but I had this thought today while driving around with my daughter. The thought went something like this: "It must be nice to have a shell to hide under when you just don't want to face the world." OK, getting smashed on the highway because you're too slow to make it across in between cars is a big setback, but all that aside, turtles have it made. I wouldn't want to be a snapping turtle. Snapping turtles remind me too much of moody people. I've never considered myself to be moody. You might say I am a very positive, optimistic, upbeat person. However, if I do get in a bad mood, I might do more than just snap, so beware!

The part about turtles that was especially appealing to me today was the retreating inside my shell part. For the last year I have been in a storm, the longest storm of my life. At first, I just tried to rebuke it. You know, the get-behind-me-Satan-type rebukes. However, after that didn't work I began to think that maybe, just maybe, there was purpose in the storm. Maybe it was what Jesus talked about in Matthew 7:24-27:

"So then, anyone who hears these words of mine and obeys them is like a wise man who built his house on rock. The rain poured down, the rivers flooded over, and the wind blew hard against that house. But it did not fall, because it was built on rock. But anyone who hears these words of mine and does not obey them is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain poured down, the rivers flooded over, the wind blew hard against that house, and it fell. And what a terrible fall that was!" (TEV).

Basically, Jesus had just told His disciples many things in the previous chapters in Matthew, including the Sermon on the Mount. He then tells them, "Do these things and you're going to make it through the storm that's coming." However, not only are you going to make it through but you are going to come out of it knowing that your house is secure! He separates those who hear and those who hear and do. He also does not indicate IF the storm comes, but WHEN the storm comes. I believe there are two types of storms that come into our lives. The first kind of storms are ones that we rebuke even as Jesus did in Luke 8:22-25:

“One day Jesus got into a boat with his disciples and said to them, "Let us go across to the other side of the lake." So they started out. As they were sailing, Jesus fell asleep. Suddenly a strong wind blew down on the lake, and the boat began to fill with water, so that they were all in great danger. The disciples went to Jesus and woke him up, saying, "Master, Master! We are about to die!" Jesus got up and gave an order to the wind and to the stormy water; they quieted down, and there was a great calm. Then he said to the disciples, "Where is your faith?" But they were amazed and afraid, and said to one another, "Who is this man? He gives orders to the winds and waves, and they obey him!" (TEV).

The second kind of storm we are to ride out as we stand upon the Rock of His Word. No doubt the "rebuke storms" are more desirable as we see the enemy bow to the Name of Jesus in our lives, but the "ride it out storms" are becoming to me even a greater miracle. With winds blowing and rain falling, peace prevails! Yes, the enemy flees long before the storms come when our lives are built on the Rock of His Word.

So, the thought about the turtle ended with the Lord whispering His Word to my heart.

"He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the LORD, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress;
My God, in Him I will trust.’
Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler[a]
And from the perilous pestilence.
He shall cover you with His feathers,
And under His wings you shall take refuge;
His truth shall be your shield and buckler." (Psalm 91:1-4, NKJV).

I'm kinda like a turtle after all! Even better... His faithfulness will not get smashed on the highway of life as I am making it to the other side! It is my protection and my shield. So, instead of dreaming about the life of a turtle I am choosing to live in the reality of His protection! I am hiding under the shelter of His wings and trusting Him until the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment