The War on Fear, Part One: Fear Has Torment

By Rachel Clothier
“There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love”(1 John 4.18, KJV.)

Several years ago, a man broke into our home during the night while we were in bed sleeping. I happened to wake up as he entered our bedroom. Thinking it was my son, I sat up and spoke to him. The man then turned and ran off, taking my husband’s wallet with him. I screamed and my husband took off after him, but he got away. Then the nightmare began....

After the police left, we went back to bed, but I was unable to sleep. In fact, I did not sleep for three days, because every time I closed my eyes, I saw the intruder’s face. Every noise sent me into a panic. I wired the doors shut, nailed the windows shut and looked under every bed. I did not want to stay in the house by myself, even during the day. The man may have gotten away with very little money, but the most important thing he took was my sense of security and peace of mind.

I was tormented day and night and thought I was going to lose my mind. In desperation I called on Jesus to help me. The only way I could feel any peace was to put the face of Jesus in the place of the man’s face every time I closed my eyes. The Word of God comforted and strengthened me when I thought I could not go one step further living in fear.

Now I know that, “God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind” (2 Timothy 1.7, KJV). May God grant you this knowledge as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment