Character: Part Four

By Carol Dickey
Renewal is what transforms us. Paul did not say, “Be transformed by rededicating your life,” nor does he talk about making promises to God, feeling extra sorry or praying very long prayers. Only renewing your mind leads to a changed life. It is the process that produces godly character.

The best way to determine where renewal needs to take place in your life is to examine the way you respond to God’s laws and principles for living. Our natural tendency is to hear God’s principles and edit them to fit our lifestyle. We rationalize our actions instead of conforming to His standard. This is human nature.

The following responses indicate a need for renewal:
  • “Surely I am not supposed to take the Bible literally.”
  • “I know I shall put others first, but...”
  • “I know he or she is not good for me, but...”
  • “I know I should not watch that stuff, but...”
  • “I know I do not have any business going there, but...”
  • “I know I should forgive, but...”
  • “I know I should be kind, but...”

The process of developing character depends in part on our willingness to cooperate. God is trying to clothe us with His character, but if we do not understand what He is trying to accomplish (or why) we will likely make the process more difficult and time-consuming. Just as when a mother dresses a little baby who squirms and wiggles, we often squirm and wiggle, resisting what God is trying to do in our lives.

God is consistently working to shape our character. He wants us to have fully developed character (James 3:2). He loves us too much to give up or let up. He began this process at our birth and will continue it until we take our last breath.

God’s agenda for us is to form our character into the likeness of Christ. What is our agenda for ourselves? Is our priority the same as God’s? Do we invite Him into our decisions only when we desperately need help or just when it fits our lifestyle? Imagine the potential if we work with Him rather than working around Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment